Pages

Friday 22 November 2013

Why Did You Become A Reflexologist?

This is one of the questions I am asked most often by clients so I thought I'd begin by answering it...



It was March 2010 and I was returning to my job following maternity leave as a magazine Beauty Director. My heart was a sad, airless balloon deflated at the prospect of leaving my baby and returning to an environment that no longer felt fulfilling or familiar. In retrospect I was experiencing the natural anxieties experienced by many new mothers navigating their way back into the workplace but, despite having an encouraging boss, it was hard to shake the sense I was a round peg trying to squeeze myself back into an all-singing-all-dancing square hole.

A week later and I was at a press event of huge pomp and circumstance for a hand cream but it wasn't the product I was interested in, more the Reflexologist offering journalists complimentary hand treatments. Later, I sat at a tarot card reader's table who told me I was at a career crossroads and seemed sure I would divert my path to work in a field directly helping others.

Sometimes I believe we respond to 'signs' and sometimes I think we hear what we want, or perhaps need to hear, but I do know that particular day sowed a tiny seed which, after a Reflexology diploma course, a huge volume of case studies, an exam and, with the support of family and friends, would finally lay down roots and come to fruition.

I will always enjoy writing and sharing advice and information and am pleased that my past career and the wellness arena I now work in are not mutually exclusive, if anything they are complementary; excuse the dreadful pun! I intend to use this blog to promote a therapy I am passionate about (and of course my business) whilst also posting snippets on health, natural beauty and other alternative therapies you may hopefully find interesting or inspiring.

When I started out on my Reflexology journey I thought I would like it but I didn't realise I would love it. As a therapist you come to learn that the human condition is a vulnerable one. Life has ups and downs, people silently endure stresses and strains, there is illness, there is health, sometimes we all desire to be touched. To have a skill, quite literally, in your hands that you can use to make other people feel 'better,' more relaxed, connected, included...well that's quite a privilege.

Which is why and how I became a Reflexologist.

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by Pink + Lola